Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Eggless Milk Powder Cake

Today 28th September, is my Dad's birthday. Here is a birthday wish that comes with lots of love, warmth and heartfelt thanks for all that he has done for me. A very very Happy Birthday Appa - from D and me.
We celebrated my Dad's birthday ( in absentia! ) with an egg less milk powder cake. I specially loved this cake for it close resemblance with the taste of white milk chocolate.


D's mom shared this simple yet tasty recipe with me. The next time I try this cake, I would want to add tutti- fruity or chocolate chips for an extra flavor. Also I usually add vinegar to all my cakes but I didn't add this time, as I was using a lot of milk, I didn't want to curdle it. ( I am not sure if cold milk can be curdled by vinegar, I didn't want to take any chances !) . I have used only 1/2 cup of butter and used an extra 1/4 cup of milk to get the perfect batter. You can substitute the 1/4 cup milk with extra butter also.


Prep Time - 15 mins
Baking time - 30 - 40 mins

Ingredients :

All purpose flour / Maida - 2 cups
Milk powder - 1 cup
Milk - 1 cup + 1/4 cup
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 cup  ( I used fine sugar, if not available use powdered sugar )
Melted butter - 1/2 cup
Salt - 1/4 tsp

Procedure :

Pre heat the oven at 350 F and grease your baking dish.

In a big bowl, mix all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda properly.

In another bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar. Similarly mix the milk and milk powder in a bowl and make sure that the milk powder dissolves completely without any lumps remaining. Add this into the butter-sugar mix. Stir all this properly. Since I used fine sugar I kept doing it till the sugar dissolved completely. To this also add vanilla essence. Give it one final mix and keep aside.

Take the big bowl with all purpose flour / maida and make a well in the center and gradually pour the above mix and stir slowly till you get a smooth batter without lumps. Don't use a hand mixer, just stir everything with a large spoon. Over mixing an eggless batter will cause the cake to deflate after it is baked.

Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 30 mins or till an inserted toothpick / knife comes out clean.

Happy B'day Daddy!!

4 comments: